Question: How is Project Controls relates to Construction Project Management/Construction Management?
Answer: “Construction projects typically carry large penalties or damages for projects that are completed late. The risks inherent in construction projects, coupled with these time-related damages, have generated the need for several of the Knowledge Areas to be implemented with enhanced visibility as specialty services. This subset of construction management, referred to as project controls, includes technically advanced disciplines of planning and scheduling, cost management, risk management, document controls, and forensic analysis. Strong project controls services have proven to be a strong component in the success of a project.” – Construction Extension to the PMBOK Guide 2016 Ed, Pg. 16
You can see the reason why the “Engine Room” for Construction Project Management/Construction Management is Project Controls.
The Guild of Project Controls (GPC) GPC is: -Independent, transparent and supported by major employers -Not for profit; sensible fees to be used for the good of the membership -Founded on pan-industry, professional standards, maintained via an ongoing process of development -Independent and in a position to collaborate with employers and professional or educational establishments -RUN BY leading Planners & Project Controls PROFESSIONALS -RUN FOR Planners & Project Controls PROFESSIONALS GPC is: -A Centre of Excellence for Contract Administration, Planning & Scheduling, Cost -Estimating, Forensic Analysis & Project Controls -Supported by the Global Community and it’s Employers The Guild is designed to support companies and individuals with: -Career Path/Professional development -Training -Certifications to Prove Competency -Mentoring -Project Controls Systems.
The Fellow – The Guild of Project Controls (FGPC) is the Holy Grail of Project Control Competencies for practitioners who have met certain requirements in Project Control Discipline. If you cannot meet the requirements, you are advised to take the lower level in the GPC Career Path Matrix suitable for you but would still be subjected to the same rigorous training at BIZVILLEPM in all the project control knowledge areas as project controls is a specialist discipline which is a subset of construction project management.
FGPC EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
- An Experience Profile to show ~ 15 years of work relevant the the Credential (i.e. about 35,000 hours) with a minimum of ~7 years (14,000 hours) in a managerial, leadership or academic position.
- Project Controls (as opposed to Planning or Cost or Claims) applicants will need to demonstrate an appropriate spread of work experience across all Tracks.
- A relevant PhD will reduce this by 10,000 hours, Masters by 6,000 hours, 4 year Degree by 2,000 hours, or 2 year Degree by 1,000 hours.
FGPC CERTIFICATION METHODOLOGY
The submittal and acceptance of the following deliverables:
- 1 x Experience Profile
- 6 x Library Articles
- 9 x 360 Degree References – 3 x Peer, 3 x Supervisor and 3 x Client
- To participate in a Video Teleconference or face to face interview by 3 trained Guild Assessors which is designed to validate & assess your ability as a MENTOR, LEADER and ROLE MODEL
- The review and (independent acceptance) of the above by the Guild Certification Board
FELLOW GUILD PROJECT CONTROLS (FGPC) COURSE OUTLINE:
- 01-Project Controls
NB: FGPC is a Trade Mark of The Guild of Project Controls (GPC) (www.planningplanet.com/guild)
Services from Bizville Project Management Limited are:
- Project Management Training
- Strategic PMO Solutions
- Project Handling and Contract
- Property Sales and Construction Supplies
Follow us on Social Media: